Monday, August 27, 2012

Wk. 8 EOC: Bang Bang Club


While conflict photography shows the stories of places suffering things such as war or famine, I would not be brave enough to go and do the job myself. The men and women who cover this type of photography are very brave. I wouldn’t have the stomach to photograph the things they see in these situations and wouldn’t be brave enough to put myself into a situation where my life would be at stake.

The movie, “The Bang Bang Club,” which is based on real events and real photographs, showed the reality of the situations conflict photographers often face. Being caught in between enemies, in the line of fire from both sides, would terrify me. The situation led to the death of a photographer who was just out on his first shoot with the club. Personally, I’ll stick to photographing in safety.

Being awarded a Pulitzer Prize was the crowning moment for one member of the club, Greg Marinovich, while the same award put another member Kevin Carter, in the spot light as a bad guy for not helping in the situation. The first photographer was made a hero for getting that close to the violence that surrounded him while taking photos. The second made to look like a bad guy for not stepping up to save a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment